Compassionate Baton Rouge Wrongful Death Attorney
Standing up for victims’ families in Louisiana since 1978
At Marks and Lear PLC, our lawyers understand that the last thing most grieving family members wish to consider after the wrongful death of a loved one is discussing their case with a law firm. However, wrongful death litigation is about rectifying your loss as much as possible. Through a wrongful death claim, our Baton Rouge wrongful death attorneys help you overcome the financial hardship of losing a loved one by helping you obtain compensation to cover the adverse economic effects that result from unnecessary and untimely death.
Types of wrongful death cases
With more than 50 years of combined legal practice, as well as practical experience in fields where fatal injuries are common, our wrongful death lawyers in Louisiana provide superlative representation for survivors when a victim is killed due to a wide range of accidents and personal injuries caused by the fault of others:
Family members eligible for wrongful death compensation
The Louisiana wrongful death statute provides that the only surviving beneficiaries who can collect for damages in a wrongful death suit are the next of kin:
- Surviving spouse and/or children of the deceased
- Surviving father and/or mother of the deceased if there is no surviving spouse or children
- Surviving siblings if there is no surviving spouse, children or parents
- Surviving grandparents if there is no surviving spouse, children, parents or siblings
Close family members may recover compensation for direct losses, including medical and burial expenses, for loss of earnings the deceased would have provided and for their own harm, including pain and suffering, mental anguish and loss of consortium, society and support.
Experience is essential when recovering from your loss
No matter what accident causes a wrongful death — such as a construction accident, defective product or fatal car accident — it is important to obtain the assistance of an experienced attorney like the ones at Marks and Lear PLC to guide you through the recovery process for several reasons:
- To provide clear evidence that death was caused by a wrongful act, negligence or default
- To establish a clear case for financial compensation, accounting for all lost income as well as emotional injury to family members and loss of consortium to the surviving spouse
- To obtain the necessary expert witnesses whose testimony can overcome a strong defense mounted by negligent parties or their insurers
Contact a skilled and reliable wrongful death lawyer in Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Louisiana law limits the time you have to sue for wrongful death to as little as one year, so it is important to contact an attorney at the law firm of Marks and Lear PLC as soon as possible. Our attorneys provide assistance whether you live in Baton Rouge, New Orleans, Lafayette or anywhere in Louisiana. For a free initial consultation, contact us online or by calling 225.250.1980.