Pedestrian and Bicycle Accidents Lawyers in Baton Rouge
Representing victims in Baton Rouge, New Orleans, and throughout Louisiana
Bicyclists and pedestrians are particularly susceptible to grave injury because of the negligence of drivers of cars, trucks and even motorcycles. When a negligent driver causes injury or death to cyclists or pedestrians, our pedestrian accident lawyers at Marks and Lear PLC in Baton Rouge are ready to help. We call upon more than 50 years of legal experience to guide clients through personal injury litigation or an insurance claim to help obtain compensation for harm ranging from costly medical bills to lost wages to pain and suffering.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), 59,000 pedestrians were injured and more than 4,000 were killed in traffic accidents in 2009. One of the most common causes of pedestrian injuries and fatalities is drunk driving, but all types of driver negligence may injure pedestrians:
While bicycles offer a convenient, inexpensive and healthy mode of transportation, riding a bicycle has been dangerous since bicycles and cars began sharing our roads:
- The first traffic accident in the United States occurred when a car hit a bicycle, in 1896.
- Since 1932, more than 49,000 fatal bicycle accidents have occurred.
- According to NHTSA, 630 pedalcyclists were killed and an additional 51,000 were injured in vehicle traffic crashes in 2009.
- Alcohol use contributed to 40 percent of fatal bicycle crashes in 2009.
Although bicyclists can help protect themselves by wearing helmets, staying in bicycle lanes and obeying traffic rules, they are still vulnerable to negligent, careless or reckless drivers.
Recovering compensation for injuries with experienced attorneys
Accidents involving unprotected bicycle riders and pedestrians may result in injuries ranging from broken bones or mild concussion to severe head injury, paralyzing spinal injury or even death. To recover compensation for these injuries, experienced pedestrian or bicycle accident attorneys with a comprehensive understanding of personal injury damages law must do the following to present professional and compelling claims:
- Obtain testimony from accident reconstruction experts, engineers and other experts to determine the cause of the accident and the negligent parties
- Obtain testimony from medical experts, vocational experts, economists, life-care planners and other experts to portray the full extent of injuries and damages to juries and insurance companies
- Meet all filing deadlines and statutes of limitation to protect your right to sue
- Present thorough arguments in court to inspire juries to award full compensation or insurance companies to settle
Contact an experienced accident lawyer in Baton Rouge, LA
With more than 50 years combined legal experience, the attorneys of Marks and Lear PLC are proud to be the legal resource clients trust to help with difficult injury claims in New Orleans, Lafayette, Baton Rouge and throughout Louisiana. To learn more about our services, contact our attorneys online or call us at 225.250.1980.