What are Wrongful Death Damages?
A wrongful death is a devastating blow to a family. Along with the emotional devastation comes a financial burden for medical bills and loss of the decedent’s salary. Wrongful death lawyers in Baton Rouge, Louisiana understand nothing will replace the deceased member of the family and that the surviving family members should be compensated for the loss of their loved one as well.
The Louisiana Statute of Limitations allows one year for a family member or personal representative of the deceased to file a wrongful death action. Typical damages that may be sought for wrongful death include:
- Medical services administered to the decedent, plus funeral and memorial costs
- Any disability costs that the decedent incurred prior to the death, plus pain, suffering and income loss for time between the deceased’s injury and death
- Loss of assets to the deceased person's estate
- Compensatory damages for the surviving spouse and surviving children
- Punitive damages from the wrongdoer that the deceased would have filed for, if he or she had lived
Losing a loved one through wrongful death can have devastating financial and emotional costs for years to come. Our wrongful death lawyers in Baton Rouge understand that a wrongful death is an incredible blow to the family and loved ones of the deceased, and are committed to seeking justice for the rights of the deceased person.
The attorneys at Marks and Lear PLC are committed to helping clients get the compensation they deserve after a wrongful death accident and offer free consultations.